Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Michael's Bead Challenge

I really enjoyed participating in my first challenge.  I have seen  challenges on different blogs before but I have always just watched to see what everyone else made.  I refuse to sit it out anymore :)  I am honored to be posting one of my creations alongside such fabulous bead designers.

When I saw the post I went to Michael's to pick up the beads right away.  The only beads I had a little trouble finding were the white quartzite nuggets.  Eventually, I found a single strand hiding behind something else.  I have to say that I really enjoyed the bead selection because it was very different from beads I would have picked out.  I puzzled for a while over whether I thought I could make the colors work together but then I was ready to get started.

When I finally began designing, I really wanted to work with the natural feel of the beads.  I haven't worked much with leather, but I had a couple of leather cords that I thought would complement the beads.  After a short while, I abandoned this attempt and decided to tackle the project again the next day.  Here is a picture of the failed attempt:

The next day I found some white shell circles and deep blue fresh water pearls that I wanted to incorporate. I really thought the shell and pearls helped to bring my design together.  This is the piece that I ended up making:


I love how you can suspend another bead in the center of the white shells, it makes a really nice element for the necklace and the little brown shell discs added a lovely texture.



I ended up using the owl button as the focal and I hammered a clasp out of brass to finish off the necklace.


Overall, I was pleased with how my necklace turned out and I had a lot of fun participating.  I still think there could be potential in my abandoned design but that is for another day.  I am so looking forward to admiring all of the other fantastic creations!  You can check the others out too on Lorelei's awesome blog: http://lorelei1141.blogspot.com/

-Sarah O

12 comments:

  1. I actually really like your first attempt! It's simple and great for every day wearing!
    But the second necklace really turned out great! I am glad you had fun participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pulled out leather at the beginning as well but I couldn't make it work. I like it! These colors were a challenge for me together but I am glad I worked through it to make the pieces I did. And I am glad that you are no longer sitting on the sidelines, Miss Sarah. There are a lot of cool challenges out there that get your ideas flowing. Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job for your first challenge. Way to get in there and strut your stuff. I don't know why you called the first attempt a failure, I thought it was coming together beautifully. Your second attempt is also very lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did like the look of it I just didn't think it was going to lay right :) With a little adjusting, I think it will work.

      Delete
  4. I like your first attempt also, particularly how you used the brown disc beads. The second piece is beautiful also and does have a different feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both pieces are beautiful, and I do think that first one really does have potential. I just love the blue and white color combo. One blog hop down and now you will be addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your first hop! Great job. Like the other commenters, I like both necklaces. I like how you used the owl button as a focal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your piece is wonderful! I'm so glad you participated. Here's to many more blog hops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Sarah. Welcome to to beading blog challenge world. I think you will enjoy doing this. It really does stretch our creativity to work with materials that others selected. You showed what you can do in a big way.

    ReplyDelete